Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Being Happy

[QUOTE=bob clark;1674589]Geez, looks like we've covered the whole range of feelings in just 2 consecutive posts!

I'm wondering though.... do you have disposable income that enables you to do fun things? Do you own or have access to a car or transportation? Go on vacations etc.?

And secondly, do you have a supportive family or some sort of support system?

I have no idea what I'm gonna do when my 13 year old air conditioner/heatpump, 23 year old water well or 23 year old roof go on my 23 year old house and need to be replaced. These things worry me. I live alone and barely get the bills paid. And just a few hours ago the second of three fluorescent tubes burnt out in my kitchen and although I have replacements, I have no one to do the replacing. There doesn't seem to be much room for having fun. But that's just me.

And aside from being either a para or a quad.... and all those other variables brought about by the uniqueness of every SCI, I believe there are two types of SCI'd people. Those with money and/or "means" and those without.

When I was able-bodied I had no trouble finding relationships or employment and always had a girlfriend and always had enough money to live on and spend on her. And enough to buy those expensive guy toys with and to go on vacations with etc. Not now.

Bob.[/QUOT

Thought it was a great post due to the following:

Fresh air
    Positive people
    Staying occupied helps the mind
    Pets
    Exercise

These are all good points that can help any person, AB or not.

Your coming from a whole other direction. Yes, we all have worries also
    and your not alone on that either.

It's nice to hear positive things that can keep someone a bit upbeat
    especially with having a SCI.

"Being Happy" is very hard & not much of an option on the days (like today) when your chronic neurogenic pain is severe & there really is no escape, solution or remedy...
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Unhappy Being thankful but not happy at all

I hope this is the correct place this to post this. I have been surviving SCI 36+ years. The writing is on the wall. I probably won't have the relationship that every human wants. No family of my own. All of the nasty comments, I have heard it all. Most people have no idea how rotten is to live like this.

The down's far outweigh the up's. A few years ago I got a service dog. Everything was going better then he passed away 6 months ago. I finally got into a sport I was really good at. Then that was taken from me as well. I feel like I am losing everything.

When the up's are good I am most grateful but not happy at all. Having to deal with caregivers and not being able to drive any more. A recent diagnosis of Parkinsons disease. The crap keeps building.

I guess the correct statement should be don't ever give up. Very hard to do with the health problems.

Summarizes many of the comments in this thread. Make of it what you will.

When I get "down in the mouth" as my momma use to say. I get in the car and go hug one of my grandkids.

I just found this thread and would like to continue it in 2014 because I think it's great.
    It made me happy to get everything together to do my mom's (she died last August) taxes for 2012 and 2013. It helped me to deal with my grief and eversince she has a different place in my heart, like a guardian angel or invisible company for some heart-to-heart-talk once in a while. It kept me very busy for a few days and I guess it made me happpy to find paperwork showing all the fun and care for each other we shared.

Your video doesn't show in Germany. Do you have something else about your art work? I myself paint watercolors. Great you are pushing your chair. I am a C6 and have an electric wheelchair, but try to do as much as possible and get little help (I managed to cook as my latest achievement: asparagus and a fish filet, and I really enjoyed it).

Benjamin Franklin's take on how to be happy:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/life...ativity-203543

Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~