Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: Being Happy

This is an incredible thread. Sometimes I feel alone in my struggles. AB people tell me to find something I enjoy. I keep looking but the things I enjoy are denied me because of my body. I have divorced since my accident and my children live 350 miles away. I spend 12 hours in the car to go get them so we can be together for 48 hours. That is the closest I feel to joy. I tried going out when I had some extra cash but I was always self-conscious about my spasms and body functions. I actually managed to have a conversation wuth a beautiful woman at a bar once, until I reach down to realize I had pissed all over myself. I was only 2 hours post cath and only had one beer. I think my problem is that I was always extrinsicly motivated. Without a job or family it's a lot harder now. It's only been 4 years. Maybe I'll change. I just can't imagine another 15 or 20 years like this. God bless everyone who has found happiness and help those of us who haven't found it yet.

Blog Entries
    I love your gargoyles! Great work! 😁 I've just started painting again. I have limited hand function with poor dexterity. I didn't think I could paint again, until I tried. 😉 I push the brush into the thumb hole of my glove. It's awkward and slow, but I'm doing it! It feels good to create. Thanks for sharing!

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I'm kinda happy I found this thread. I'm kinda happy I made it through the 24 pages. Lots of inspiration and good observation about happiness. Someone said that happiness is found in life's everyday activities (more or less). That's what I believe.

I remember an old Mary Tyler Moore Show episode where Mary (depressed) was talking to Ted, the guy who read the news. Mary was explaining the drudgery of each day. She said (in a very tired, depressed, draggy voice), "I get up, get dressed, eat my breakfast, go outside".

Ted told her that tomorrow (in a very excited voice that can't wait to start the day), "Get up, get dressed, eat your breakfast, go outside".

It's hard to get excited about doing something until you get excited about doing something. But, for me, doing things make me happy. I'll be back to talk more about things that make me happy.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Lemur, you are a fabulous artist. Do you have someone who gets the bubbles out of the clay for you and sets it up on the rotating table for you? That's a big chunk of clay and would be a big job job even for an AB. Also, do you have a helper who hollows it out for you, drapes it with damp rags while it dries, and gets it into the kiln for you? I did two semesters of clay in college. I regret that I didn't take a pottery throwing class. I think it would hurt my back to do it now.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Lemur, you are a fabulous artist. Do you have someone who gets the bubbles out of the clay for you and sets it up on the rotating table for you? That's a big chunk of clay and would be a big job job even for an AB. Also, do you have a helper who hollows it out for you, drapes it with damp rags while it dries, and gets it into the kiln for you? I did two semesters of clay in college. I regret that I didn't take a pottery throwing class. I think it would hurt my back to do it now.
    I'm a clay hobbyist and took classes for 16 years, now work at home. The clay I purchase is already "wedged", but it would be nice if I could wedge it again before I use it, but I can't. I find it will be more manageable if I drop it in it's plastic bag to the floor several times. I can only handle about 5 lb. this way. It sort of "wakes up" the clay. I can then make balls to use on the wheel, or slice off portions to place on my slab roller for handbuilding.
    Pottery is a wonderful, life long hobby for me.

Just found the video. The gargoyles are magnificent! Understanding the physical condition of the artist make them even more fantastic.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I am also an artist and have made my living as a sculptor for the past 20 years. I have a neurological disorder that is now involving my hands and arms, so my feelings towards being creative are mixed for now. I might be able to make a living for another year, but maybe not. I am hopeful that I will find a way to be creative for my own pleasure at some point (for me that would be when it is not mixed up with money). I am going through a tough time, but threads like this are a lifeline when it feels that all hope is lost.
    49 year old female
    married
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

I fancy myself an artist. Made a fair portion of my income through photography and have been unable to do so for over a decade. My condition is deteriorating and I shot very little for a long time but worked with old images. I've totally changed my equipment to small, light, compromised, that I would never have used but am pursuing and nourishing my creative side again. Good for my soul. -ket