Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Happy

Cool Being Happy

This Sticky was just a thought one day when I opened the “Life” forum and saw the “Suicide” thread and thought, “What about all of the happy people and things going on in people’s lives.”

My injury is C5C6 complete and I am about 2 and a half years post. I’m still new to all of this and feel blessed to have this website for all the info, resources and the people. When I first found this site I thought life was over and it wouldn’t ever get better, but I was wrong. Here’s a few thread’s that show how my life has changed.

1. Does it really get better?

2. The New Life

Many things have changed since then and I am the happiest I have ever been, even pre-injury. I have many things and people in my life that I have to thank for that, but the thing that keeps me happy is me. When I get bummed something in the back of my mind starts to slap me around and lets me know that I don’t want to spend my day like that. I maintain my positive outlook because I know the opposite too well and choose not to live day in and day out like that. Here’s a couple of things I do to keep my spirits up.

• Fresh air always helps.
    • Positive people. Whether it’s in person, on the phone, internet and if no one is around or available put in a positive movie or t.v. show.
    • Staying occupied keeps the mind busy.
    • Pets, just watching the things they do makes me smile.
    • Exercise. The feeling you get when doing positive things for your body is incredible.
    I’ll post more as they come to mind, but the most important aspect for me is thinking positive constantly. Even when negative things slam me in the face I just step out of the box and put things in perspective in a positive way.

This Sticky should provide any kind of information on what you do to keep positive and happy, and also what kind of positive things are going on in your life.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I haven't read those threads but I will.
    I just had to say, "You are just TOO COOL!"
    and it's people like YOU that make me Happy.

Thanks for joining!

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeels
    When I get bummed something in the back of my mind starts to slap me around and lets me know that I don’t want to spend my day like that. I maintain my positive outlook because I know the opposite too well and choose not to live day in and day out like that.
    words of wisdom...
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Baking. I love baking when I'm feeling down.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I get to meet my possible new service dog tomorrow. It's a black lab named Stanly. That makes me happy.

Shopping for a new truck this weekend really makes me happy.
    Last edited by Freedom92; 05-15-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom92
    I get to meet my possible new service dog tomorrow. It's a black lab named Stanly. That makes me happy.

Shopping for a new truck this weekend really makes me happy.
    Wow, that's cool you're getting a new service dog Freedom And a new truck to boot, congrats!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    Wow, that's cool you're getting a new service dog Freedom And a new truck to boot, congrats!
    Thanks rdf, have to get a black truck to match my new black dog. Have my eye on a black 2006 F-150 4x4 supercab ( new to me ). I have a 2003 F-150 supercrew now, but it's not easy getting my chair in the cab. Suicide doors really make a difference.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

I love looking at photos of the people in my family and my life circle. There are some really funny, kooky picss always guaranteed for a smile. If I start feeling glum I break out the funny ones. It works to lift my spirit.

I catch every sunset I can and sometimes the sunrises, too (if I'm not sleeping in that day ). The light at day break and day's end seems to wrap around and soften the harder parts of life, of the world.

I try something new, although that can backfire on me if I'm not in the right mindset. Instead of comparing how I did things formerly, I just have to go with the experience as it is.

I get into nature. That is my happy place, the time when it comes together. Whether it is the ocean, the woods, the mountains, a desert, getting outdoors, getting away from too much concrete and traffic and manmade evreything soothes the savage beast within.

I go to my favorite places and favorite people on this planet. I turn to one of two places on this earth for a type of grounding or I turn to those I love. I'm always better for having done it.

I find a reason and a way to laugh. I swear by those brain chemicals released with laughter. Laughter begets laughter. It feeds on itself.

Talking with my best friends always helps. It doesn't matter if I'm the one needing to download something or it's the other person, I'm always lighter in my being for having had the experience and the sharing.

curious

Hi,

I think it is insane to be happier 2 years post than pre injury. It boggles my mind. Why do you think you are happier? Is it a defense mechanism or do you really believe that to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by hcho72
    Hi,

I think it is insane to be happier 2 years post than pre injury. It boggles my mind. Why do you think you are happier? Is it a defense mechanism or do you really believe that to be true.
    No more insane than life pre-injury. Happiness is a choice...pre or post. It takes a little work. It's hard to be consistent...I give you that.