Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathroom Needs

If you are renting an apartment, check into accessable apartments. A lot of newer complexes have them already set up & some even give discounts for the adapted apartments. I had one a couple years ago & the complex was great about it. There was a designated spot right outside my building entrance, there were handrails in the bathroom, a raised toilet, rails in the tub, a wall mount sink that a chair could get under & the faucets still reachable(not one of those extra deep sinks that you can't actually reach the faucet) & wider doors to accomodate a chair. It also had lowered counters in the kitchen & smooth transitions between doorways & floors.

This was before my accident, so I didn't need these for myself, but my bro is also disabled & the features came in really well for his care when my family came to visit me. Being short, I also found the lowered counters helpful.

Congrats on your marriage & good luck with your new home.

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

BrokenWing, due to where you live with so many elderly people this type of housing may be more available. I know in my area it is rare as hen's teeth, and if found, is usually too expensive, has a long waiting list, or is otherwise unavailable. I can't think of a single recent injury client of ours who has been able to move into a fully adapted apartment in the last 5-6 years. Sad but true.

(KLD)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

BrokenWing, due to where you live with so many elderly people this type of housing may be more available. I know in my area it is rare as hen's teeth, and if found, is usually too expensive, has a long waiting list, or is otherwise unavailable. I can't think of a single recent injury client of ours who has been able to move into a fully adapted apartment in the last 5-6 years. Sad but true.

(KLD)
    Yeah, and most of the ones I wanted were in 55+ buildings. I moved into a semi-adapted one, actually it was better than my house is now despite 180,000 in modifications.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Actually Nurse, I live in the highly toursit-y section of Orlando & the bulk of the apartment dwellers are in my age range or a little younger. It's a large part Theme Park or Lockheed Martin employees that rent apartments in this area. Not to say that there aren't retirees & an older crowd, but not in the area of town I lived in. The traffic alone could cause a heart-attack The apartment complexes are definatley designed for & marketed to the younger professional crowd.

Yes, I understand that most complexes don't have this kind of adaptation, but with some searching, especially of newer complexes, he may be able to find something that will work for him, or a complex that's willing to adapt an apartment for him.

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

hey man, im same as you, T6, and here is the seat that me and my dad came up with, its also portable and sits right on the regular toilet seat.
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7814

Josh S.