View RSS Feed

webfoot

ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
Here I go with more questions....

I've been reading about many of you not using the anti-tilt mechanism, and am trying to make a decision about removing it. I'm just not sure if it is even being used with how I have everything configured, and it seems to make it very difficult for me to tilt back and lift the casters off the ground with my husband in the chair.

From what I am seeing the maximum I can tilt it back to get the front casters off of the ground is about 2" (5cm), but it takes a lot of effort on my part. Many curb cuts near us are about 1" (2.5 cm), and even then it is hard to get over them, and I feel like I am putting a lot of strain on the fold-down push handles, and am not sure if that is wise.

The depth behind the wheelchair backrest posts and the anti-tilt wheels is about .6" (1.5cm). I don't think we can make it any closer because of conflicts with the wheelchair armrest brackets, which extend quite far back. The COG on the chair is set to 3", but I have the the ZX-1 armrest bracket as far back as it goes in the 5th hole to not interfere with the wheelchair armrest brackets. This is further than the documented amount based on the 3" COG, but we had no choice because he needs the wheelchair armrests when not using the ZX-1.

We have a lot going on under and behind the chair and it's all quite a puzzle with only millimetres to spare on everything. I don't know if by looking at a photo if anyone can tell me anything more I can do to make it easier to get over curb cuts, but I thought it was worth a try. If not, maybe it just makes more sense to remove the anti-tilt mechanism, because I think it is just making it harder. Also, it appears that the wheelchair armrest brackets hit the ZX-1 armrests and keep it from going too far back, so again, I wonder if it makes sense to even use it.

Note: My husband does not have good upper body strength or balance. I don't want to do anything to make it unsafe, so if it is that I just need to put more strength into it, I would rather do that than risk him being jolted out of the chair. But, I also want to make sure I'm not going to damage the ZX-1 by doing that.

Name:  2015 03 20_4800.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  271.9 KB
Tags: photo, zx1 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments