View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Hoyer-friendly hotels: Comfort Inn, Stanton, Texas (West Texas)

Comfort Inn, 800 W. Interstate 20, Stanton, Texas,
    432-756-1100, $135-172

Comfortable Hoyer-friendly room in West Texas, lots of space, good bathroom. The Hoyer fits under a pullout sofa bed: I slept on it fine. Find photos and more details here.
  2. Is It Age or MS?

Recently, Jeopardy uber-champion James Holzhauer surprised by donating to a nonprofit battling the type of cancer that affects show host Alex Trebek.

Holzhauer, 34, was epic master of Jeopardy for weeks on end, winning $2,462,216, just shy of Ken Jennings' record $2,520,700. He donated to a fundraiser in his boyhood hometown of Naperville, Illinois. Event participant Ann Zediker decided to email him. "My gut told me it was the right thing to do. It couldn't hurt." (There's ...
  3. She was a force of nature

That's what Edward Kennedy, Jr., head of the American Association of People with Disabilities, said about the great activist Marca Bristo, who has died at 66. She was one of the architects of the Americans With Disabilities Act and also founded the huge and influential services agency Access Living in Chicago. She then went on to found the National Council on Independent Living and become policy advisor to presidents and congressmen, traveling the world as an advocate for accessibility.
  4. Accessible travel and camping links

Posted by a friend at MS Connection:

For those of you interested in accessible travel, I have found many great resources on Instagram and Facebook. There are hashtags specifically used for that purpose on Instagram. A couple that come to mind are #accessiblecamping #accessibletravel #accessiblefamilytravel and many variations of these names. There are also folks who maintain their own pages and if you just search by names like ?accessible? and ?travel?, you?ll find many different ...
  5. Visiting Grand Canyon South Rim in a wheelchair

The Grand Canyon was excellent for me in my chair. I haven't been back since I was a kid, when my circumstances were far different. As you'd expect, the Park Service does a great job making it accessible.

The camping ground (Trailer Village) is clean and convenient. We picked a great place for our first night in an RV. They keep the spaces neat with pea gravel, that was a little too deep in one spot where I got stuck, but a young Frenchman walking by lifted me out of that bind. That's ...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast