PDA

View Full Version : New PC Games??

Mark07
08-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi there, recently I have been looking out for some good PC games but was not able to get my hands on any great ones. I'm looking for suggestions from people who play single player first-person shooting games on their PC.

Previously I have played some cool games which include Deus EX, Project IGI 1&2, SWAT, Half-Life, Return to Castle Wolfestein, Hitman and some more which I can’t remember right now.

I would really appreciate if I get to know some more games from you guys like these which have good graphics and interesting mission levels.

Best Regards,
Mark Peterson.

pumpingiron
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
here is a good site for info on pc games http://www.gamespot.com/pc/index.html i go there al the time befor i buy a game so i can read up on them. I hope this helps.

Patonb
08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
I play Battlefeilds... Great games as you're not stuck being a person, you can jump in planes, tanks, boats... Basically yousee it you can steal it..

keps
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Not that familiar with shooters, but there's a list of them (for PC) at ign.com -

Shooters at ign (http://uk.pc.ign.com/index/games.html?constraint.game_genre_name.game_genre_1 .game_genre_2=Shooter%3A&constraint.return_all=is_true).

Isildur
08-22-2007, 01:32 PM
The last i played, r6 vegas, STALKER or GRAW2.
The next, Bioshock. You can download the demo.

XYNaPSE
08-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Battlefield 2 is a great game. So is counter-strike source, half life 2, quake 4, command & conquer 3.

christopher
08-22-2007, 10:57 PM
The buzz is all about Bioshock lately.

Juke_spin
08-23-2007, 03:40 AM
The buzz is all about Bioshock lately.

Here's a nice eight minute preview w narration:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23824.html

and it looks like the PC version can be had on eBay for twenty bucks.

Mark07
08-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Quite helpful links there pumpingiron and keps. There are a whole lot of games and I’m getting confused as to which one I should go for.

@Patonb - Battlefeilds sounds really exciting and with that stealing feature in it, it’ll be more fun I guess.

For members who are game for Bioshock it might be a very good pick but I’m looking for games which are more realistic in their approach and not just non-stop shooting but since this game has such a high rating and the graphics also seem to be great I think I may give it a shot.
BTW that was a good link Juke spin.

bob clark
08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
They didn't leave out us wheelchair pushers. :)

HERE'S (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23825.html?type=) the BioShock Hi-Def full screen trailer. You may need to click on the "Full Screen" button and perhaps the F11 key on your keyboard.

Better have a pretty fast Internet connection though. The graphics look great but it's another blood, guts and gore FPS game. And it's single player only... no online play. Isn't that out of the ordinary nowadays?

The last FPS game I bought was Max Payne... that was a longgg time ago. I'm just into combat flight sims and a little Tiger Woods PGA Golf now.

Publisher: 2K Games
Developer: 2K Boston
Genre: Sci-Fi First-Person Shooter
Release Date: Aug 21, 2007 (more)
ESRB: MATURE
ESRB Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Strong Language, Sexual Themes
Game Information
Number of Players: 1 Player
DirectX Version: v9.0c
Operating System: Windows XP/Vista

You better have a computer with a lot of horsepower under the hood.

Minimum always MEANS Minimum! They're trying to sell as many units as possible. And you'll probably need to be at the top-end of the "Recommended System Requirements" scale if you want to max out the eyecandy with a high resolution setting while getting good framerates.

Minimum System Requirements
System: Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive Space: 8000 MB

Recommended System Requirements
System: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
RAM: 2048 MB
Video Memory: 512 MB

Technical Support
Visit 2K Games web site at:
Official Site
Visit the official web site at: www.2kgames.com/bioshock/enter.html

Bob.

Le Type Français
08-23-2007, 09:47 PM
A beautifully enhanced Tomb Raider is available for the PC. She is one of the biggest icons of video gaming.

If you enjoy RPGs, but not online, try The Elder Scrolls series.

Need for Speed is excellent for racing fans.

JustinB
08-24-2007, 02:22 AM
A beautifully enhanced Tomb Raider is available for the PC. She is one of the biggest icons of video gaming.

If you enjoy RPGs, but not online, try The Elder Scrolls series.

Need for Speed is excellent for racing fans.

Generally, those aren't called Icons ;);)
I enjoyed Baldur's gate far, far more than elder scrolls.

And racing games suck now that I can't use pedals and a wheel...

need freaking hand controls for racing games :mad::mad::mad:
-- JB

bob clark
08-24-2007, 04:53 AM
Hi JB,

Main Entry: icon
Variant(s): also ikon /'I-"kän/
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek eikOn, from eikenai to resemble
1 : a usually pictorial representation : IMAGE
2 [Late Greek eikOn, from Greek] : a conventional religious image typically painted on a small wooden panel and used in the devotions of Eastern Christians
3 : an object of uncritical devotion : IDOL
4 : EMBLEM, SYMBOL <the house became an icon of 1960's residential architecture -- Paul Goldberger>
5 a : a sign (as a word or graphic symbol) whose form suggests its meaning b : a graphic symbol on a computer display screen that usually suggests the type of object represented or the purpose of an available function
- icon·ic /I-'kä-nik/ adjective
- icon·i·cal·ly /-ni-k(&-)lE/ adverb

And racing games suck now that I can't use pedals and a wheel...

need freaking hand controls for racing games
-- JB

I have a MOMO® Racing Force Feedback Wheel (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/wheels/devices/320&cl=us,en) and it works great for racing. I race EA Sports NASCAR SimRacing and GTR FIA GT Racing sims. I just map the paddle shifters on the wheel (you can't see them in the picture but they're on the steering column) to the gas and brake pedals. I mainly race NASCAR anyway, not Indy, so the paddles aren't "supposed" to be used for shifting.... there's a gear shift on the wheel base for that.

Shifting Options: Use paddle shifters to keep your hands on the wheels or the manual knob for sequential precision.

I use auto-clutch mode but you can map a button on the wheel for the clutch if you want.... it slows me up and every 1/1000 of a second counts especially when there's 10 or 20 bucks "riding" on 3 laps!

I was trying to figure out a way to map both paddle shifters to the accelerator "pedal" because it would make it easier to change hands while keeping the paddles depressed when going through tight right-hand and left-hand corners at course tracks like Watkins Glen. I even posted questions about it at the Logitech and EA Sports NASCAR racing forums and they said it would need to be rewired... so screw that. I just have to race without a beer or a cigarette in my other hand and reach around a little bit. :) There are 6 buttons to choose from on the wheel for the brake and clutch if you want and I use the remaining ones for the different views. It clamps really tight to my desk.... it's solid. And the force feedback is very realistic.... when you bump another car or scrape the wall you feel it. And it's adjustable.

It's a bitch that we gotta buy the useless gas and brake pedal setup. :) Not really though, I let my able-bodied friends use them and I still kick their asses. It only takes a few seconds to push the pedal base outta the way so I don't run it over with my casters. The pedal base is a pretty good design if you have carpeting under your computer desk... it has a spring loaded comb-like plate that grips really well to it.

It's $75 at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=Logitech+Momo&x=15&y=30) and they have some "open box" OEM Momo's for $58. You can probably find it cheaper if you shop around. Plus the shipping is $14 at Newegg. :mad:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/26-128-006-04.jpg

I haven't used it in quite a while now... it's just collecting dust in the closet. :)

Bob.

Mark07
08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
They didn't leave out us wheelchair pushers. :)

HERE'S (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23825.html?type=) the BioShock Hi-Def full screen trailer. You may need to click on the "Full Screen" button and perhaps the F11 key on your keyboard.

Better have a pretty fast Internet connection though. The graphics look great but it's another blood, guts and gore FPS game. And it's single player only... no online play. Isn't that out of the ordinary nowadays?

The last FPS game I bought was Max Payne... that was a longgg time ago. I'm just into combat flight sims and a little Tiger Woods PGA Golf now.

You better have a computer with a lot of horsepower under the hood.

Minimum always MEANS Minimum! They're trying to sell as many units as possible. And you'll probably need to be at the top-end of the "Recommended System Requirements" scale if you want to max out the eyecandy with a high resolution setting while getting good framerates.

Bob.

That’s a thumping trailer; I think I’m getting more convinced to go for bioshock and especially the detailed graphics are something to watch for.
I’d mostly preferred single player games than the online ones so this can be exciting.

I liked Max Payne too and the 3D actions effects which the game offered were just too cool. One could also do the action replays in it which made it a little different from other games. I do remember that I took a long time to complete the game as compared to the other games which I played but it was a good pick.

Thanks for the info on system requirements Bob. It’ll be helpful.

Cheers.

CowboyCrip
08-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Company of Heros is a great game.

Medal of Honor and it's add-on's/sequels are great games too. Older game and runs well on older systems. You can find the deluxe edition in the bargain bin for $20. 100's of hours of entertainment!

JustinB
08-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Hey Bob - that is great info about the wheel, I'll look into it... Driving games have always been my favorite.

As far as icon, I was actually obliquiley referring to her anatomy...

-- JB

bob clark
08-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Hey Bob - that is great info about the wheel, I'll look into it... Driving games have always been my favorite.

As far as icon, I was actually obliquiley referring to her anatomy...

-- JB

Hi JB,

Oh, Titties! What the hell would Todd know about those nasty things!?

I've never seen or played Tomb Raider but I imagine that the Tomb Raider is some virtual foxy lookin' chick with a 32 inch waist and 44 triple D breastseseseses? :)

I used to use my Cougar joystick for racing and it was fun. Though it did put a lot of needless wear and tear on it. But after getting a good wheel I really noticed the difference... so much easier to keep the perfect line and it didn't break my wrist like the Cougar did. And I posted much better times. It's a no-brainer if you're into racing sims and especially if you're going to compete online.

Bob.

DA
08-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm trying to get through Bioshock. The graphics are great. Remember to update Nvidia 163.44 drivers and update to DX10.1.

mr_coffee
09-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I played bio shock, its alright I guess, the game play is weird to me.

I can't see it being an online game, and thats the type i enjoy, wasting life while others waste life with you!

Mark07
09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh, Titties! What the hell would Todd know about those nasty things!?

I've never seen or played Tomb Raider but I imagine that the Tomb Raider is some virtual foxy lookin' chick with a 32 inch waist and 44 triple D breastseseseses? :)
Why wouldn't he know about them? In fact that could be the reason for him liking the game ;)

Yeah what you imagined is almost correct but the vital stats are a little blown up I must say. They are just perfect to attract one’s attention when you see her running around.;)

Medal of Honor and it's add-on's/sequels are great games too. Older game and runs well on older systems. You can find the deluxe edition in the bargain bin for $20. 100's of hours of entertainment!
Great....sounds like a good deal for a lot of gaming hours. Have you personally played all the sequels?

I played bio shock, its alright I guess, the game play is weird to me.

I'm trying to get through Bioshock. The graphics are great. Remember to update Nvidia 163.44 drivers and update to DX10.1.
What are your views on bioshock and how much would you guys rate it overall on a scale of 10?