PDA

View Full Version : Woo-Suk Hwang Sues for Job back

Faye
11-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Disgraced stem cell researcher sues for jobhttp://www.gulf-times.com/site/images/spacer.gif Published: Tuesday, 7 November, 2006, 08:55 AM Doha Timehttp://www.gulf-times.com/mritems/images/2006/11/6/2_116249_1_248.jpgStem cell scientist Hwang Woo-sukSEOUL: Disgraced South Korean stem cell scientist Hwang Woo-suk, who was fired from one of the country’s top universities after his team falsified landmark papers, is suing to get his old job back, his lawyer said yesterday.
Hwang, who was sacked by Seoul National University in March and is on trial in a criminal fraud case related to his work, said in a court filing he was unfairly dismissed due to distorted evidence, his lawyer, Lee Geon-haeng, said by telephone.
“The plaintiff’s (Hwang’s) case was not subject to an impartial and legal procedure. The defendant (university) chose to use extreme measures of dismissing a scientist while failing to evaluate the objective truth and his public accomplishments,” the papers filed by Hwang’s lawyers said.
University officials could not immediately be reached for comment on the lawsuit.
Hwang resigned his post in December 2005, after a preliminary report from a team at Seoul National University accused his team of fabricating crucial data.
Hwang’s work had once raised hopes because it seemed to fulfil a promise of embryonic stem cell studies where tissue could be grown to repair damaged bodies and cure illnesses such as Parkinson’s disease and severe spinal cord injuries.
A few months ago, he resumed work on animal cloning at a private laboratory financed by his supporters. The government has suspended his license to do embryonic stem cell research.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=116254&version=1&template_id=45&parent_id=25

Susan Fajt
11-09-2006, 08:03 AM
thank you for the info Faye. I feel he should simply move to where he can try and prove his findings on ESCR as private sectors are behind him and he has been trained to help others and i would personaly like to see what he is capable of is let to use his talents or lack of.. Just my opinion and i am glad he is fighting back!

PN
11-10-2006, 09:57 PM
He can sue until the cows come home and he should be smart enough to know that he is totally screwed on this one. If he did get his job back then this would be the greatest second act since Al Jolson.

Buck503
11-10-2006, 10:29 PM
It certainly won't help his credibility. Thats gone for good.

betheny
11-10-2006, 11:11 PM
They can't trust him with money...He stands accused of defrauding $2.9 million. Seems like a gifted scientist with a deficiency in the ethics department. (Duh. We noticed that a while ago.)

He could work with somebody else controlling the pursestrings, I guess. Of course, anything he does will be met with skepticism.

I hope his private investors are watching the piggybank. If the science is really his passion, that should be ok with him.

Faye
11-12-2006, 09:36 PM
thank you for the info Faye. I feel he should simply move to where he can try and prove his findings on ESCR as private sectors are behind him and he has been trained to help others and i would personaly like to see what he is capable of is let to use his talents or lack of.. Just my opinion and i am glad he is fighting back!
I so agree with you.

A shame to let talent like this go to waste! If he can prove his work with hSCNT, we'll all benefit.

teesieme
11-14-2006, 02:33 AM
I so agree with you.

A shame to let talent like this go to waste! If he can prove his work with hSCNT, we'll all benefit.

I agree. I met him only briefly but felt his genuine concern and compassion for a cure. IMHO, I believe he meant well but got tangled in a web and became the meal. With his continuing work within the realm of scientific research, well that says a lot to me anyhow. ~Teresa

dogger
11-20-2006, 09:36 AM
He should have to start at the bottom again ; cleaning the laboratory rats cages out with a toothbrush , preferably his own . The damage he did to ESCR credibility is immeasurable . A scientist in his field who disregards ethics is like a parish priest who disregards paedophilia laws . Any findings he presents in the future will be viewed with scepticism until replicated by scientists who have a clean record .