07-25-2002, 12:39 AM
• Sharp FR, Liu J and Bernabeu R (2002). Neurogenesis following brain ischemia. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 134 (1-2): 23-30. Summary: Following 5 or 10 min of global ischemia in the adult gerbil there is a tenfold increase in the birth of new cells in the subgranular zone of dentate gyrus of the hippocampus as assessed using BrdU incorporation. This begins at 7 days, peaks at 11 days, and decreases thereafter. Over the next month approximately 25% of the newborn cells disappear. Of the remaining cells, 60% migrate into the granule cell layer where two-thirds become NeuN, calbindin and MAP-2 immunostained neurons. The remaining 40% of the cells migrate into the dentate hilus where 25% of these become GFAP labeled astrocytes. It is proposed that ischemia-induced neurogenesis contributes to the recovery of function, and specifically may serve to improve anterograde and retrograde recent memory function that is lost following global ischemia in animals and man. Department of Neurology and Neuroscience Program, Vontz Center Rm 2327, 3125 Eden Avenue, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267-0536, USA. firstname.lastname@example.org.