PDA

View Full Version : Major Breakthrough in Treating Hepatitis C

Raven
10-27-2006, 05:53 PM
October 26, 2006
Major Breakthrough in Treating Hepatitis C Announced
When two separate studies produce identical results, medical innovations quickly follow. Researchers from Scripps Institute and La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology have come to the same conclusion: altering a specific immune system molecule allows a rat to successfully fight Hepatitis C. If these findings can be reproduced in humans, an entirely new way to eradicate Hepatitis C may be on the horizon.

Major Advance In Fight Against Hepatitis C And Other Chronic Virus Infections

A major finding that could lead to a new approach for treating hepatitis C and other chronic virus infections was announced today by researchers at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology (LIAI). The research team, using controlled laboratory studies of mice, was able to eliminate a chronic virus infection in the animals by blocking a key messenger molecule in the immune system. The finding has particular relevance for hepatitis C, a viral illness which can cause liver disease and cancer, but may also be applicable to AIDS, cytomegalovirus and other chronic virus infections.

"This is a significant advance that holds great promise for the treatment of chronic virus infections," said Mitchell Kronenberg, LIAI President & Scientific Director. He noted that the research is particularly exciting because the scientific team was able to completely eradicate the usually chronic infection in the mice, not just tone it down, like many of the current treatment methods for such infections.

The research team, led by Matthias von Herrath, M.D., announced its finding in a paper, "Resolution of a Chronic Viral Infection Following IL-10 Receptor Blockade," published today in the online version of the Journal of Experimental Medicine. A separate study, led by Michael Oldstone from the Scripps Research Institute, produced similar results and was published Sunday in a science journal.

LIAI's research team used a novel method for tackling a chronic viral infection, which involved releasing the disease-fighting power of the immune system by blocking the interleukin-10 (IL-10) messenger molecule receptor with a simple antibody. Normally, this molecule, which is produced at substantial levels during hepatitis C, HIV and cytomegalovirus infections, acts to suppress the immune system's attack on chronic virus infections. "We thought, 'what if we try to correct what the immune system seems to be doing wrong in response to many chronic viral infections?,'" said von Herrath. "So we unleashed the power of the immune system by using an antibody to block the IL-10 receptor. This taught the immune system to take the right action and fight the disease."

More .. http://hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2006/10/major_breakthro.html

Lordie, how I wish that they could finally get the answer to irradicate this demon destroying us. Maybe soon, I keep thinking. Maybe soon.

Raven

lynnifer
10-27-2006, 06:27 PM
This would be terrific! Wonder if the Canadian Government would sail money there instead of compensation for all the unknowing victims of the Trainted Blood Scandel? Wonder if that's something that most would want.

Raven
10-28-2006, 11:19 PM
This would be terrific! Wonder if the Canadian Government would sail money there instead of compensation for all the unknowing victims of the Trainted Blood Scandel? Wonder if that's something that most would want.

I wouldn't doubt many would, lynnifer. I think that if I were in a situation similar to that, I would. Hope and maybe even desperation will push us to move mountains if possible I think.

I am hoping this study does show a greater possibility for all.

Raven