PDA

View Full Version : Stem Cells Fix Rat Retinas

roshni
09-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Advanced Cell Technology Reports Visual Function Rescue in Animals Utilizing Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Retinal Cells

Transplanted Cells Shown Capable of Rescuing Photoreceptor Cells in RCS Rats with Retinal Disease

Worcester, MA, September 21, 2006—Advanced Cell Technology, Inc. (OTCBB: ACTC.OB) today announced that company scientists and their collaborators rescued visual function in rats through implantation of retinal pigment epithelial cells (RPE) derived from human embryonic stem (hES) cells. The study results were reported in a paper entitled “Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Cells Rescue Visual Function in Dystrophic RCS Rats” published online today ahead of print in the Fall 2006 issue of the journal Cloning and Stem Cells.

Link: http://www.advancedcell.com/press-release/advanced-cell-technology-reports-visual-function-rescue-in-animals-utilizing-human-embryonic-stem-cell-derived-retinal-cells

MikeC
09-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Roshni, I saw this yesterday on Yahoo. Thanks for posting. Now the rats can walk and see! It's interesting that they used embyonic stem cells - I think that the article I read said that adult stem cells had little/no effect.

Mike

Buck503
09-22-2006, 06:29 PM
This is good for so many reasons, but mainly because it proves how
much can be done with these cells.

Hellonwheels
11-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Those rats get all the breaks.