PDA

View Full Version : EKG and Multiple Personalities (nothing to do with SCI)

rfbdorf
07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
This is an observation communicated to me via the patient's case manager. I only know a few of the facts.
A patient suffers from multiple personalities. She is hospitalized for other reasons, and is connected to an EKG monitor. The attending nurses noticed that they can tell which personality is currently active by looking at the EKG - the degree of heart block changes (not simply heart rate)! One nurse said something to the effect that "If you see this pattern on the EKG, you don't want to go into that room" (i.e., the patient would be acting very unpleasantly).
AFAIK, nobody is investigating this phenomenon. What could be the sequence of actions - is the difference in brain activity due to personality changes affecting the nervous system, thus the heart block, or is there a general chemical change affecting both heart and brain to cause the personality changes? What a fascinating research topic!
- Richard

etoc
07-31-2006, 06:01 PM
yes interesting, altough it seems logical that EKG is influenced by brain activity. sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system affect the hearth so EKG should be very dependant on personality and temperament.