PDA

View Full Version : Results a breath away with new Israeli liver test

Raven
06-21-2006, 02:04 AM
Results a breath away with new Israeli liver test
06.13.2006.16:28

Liver biopsies are an invasive, uncomfortable and painful ordeal. A long hollow needle is pressed into the abdomen to remove tissue samples to assess liver injury resulting from infectious disease like Hepatitis C, or metabolic liver diseases related to overweight and obesity.

But thanks to an Israeli innovation called BreathID, a patient now merely has to breathe into an instrument and wait 20-30 minutes to determine the status of his liver, its function and whether he should be prescribed treatment. The device, which has been tested on over 300 Hepatitis C and NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) patients, will enable physicians throughout the world to enlarge the scope of diagnosing and treatment of liver diseases

Hepatitis C (HVC) is the most prevalent blood-born disease in the world. The World Health Organization considers Hepatitis C an epidemic. It is often called the "silent" epidemic because it can infect a patient for decades before being discovered. Approximately 4 million people in the US are chronically infected with the Hepatitis C virus. Between 10,000 and 12,000 people die of Hepatitis C annually in the US, and 73,000 are newly infected each year. NAFLD affects about 20% of the western world adult population and like obesity, the cause for this disease, it is a great concern of the medical community worldwide.

The BreathID diagnostic and disease management device was developed by Oridion Systems Ltd., but its rights were recently acquired by Hadasit, the technology transfer company of the Hadassah Medical Organization and scientist/entrepreneur Dr. Uri Geiger.

"It's a totally new concept in liver testing," says Geiger, who manage BreathID. "Right now, the only alternative is a blood test, which is not a very efficient or accurate tool to assess the condition of the liver. Until now, the most accurate way remains a liver biopsy - which is not only invasive, but expensive, and potentially dangerous - one in 10,000 people die from it," he told ISRAEL21c.

http://www.forzion.com/full-article.php?news=2458

I am particularly interested in this test since a biopsy cannot be done on my liver. My gastroenterologist has decided it is too risky for me. Am sure that there are possibly others who have met the same problem as I. Hopefully, this test is the answer to the problem.

Raven