PDA

View Full Version : Hep C trials a world first (genotype one)

Raven
06-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Hep C trials a world first
Michelle Pountney, health reporter
08jun06

MELBOURNE scientists are about to begin world-first human trials on a new treatment for hepatitis C that they hope will be much more successful than current hit-and-miss therapies.

Less than half of people infected with hepatitis C are cured with multi-drug treatment.
Many others are unable to finish the treatment because of its debilitating, toxic side-effects and the expense.

Doctors at Melbourne's Burnet Institute have developed a new treatment likely to minimise the damaging outcomes of hepatitis C infection.

The treatment uses a patient's own white blood cells, which are matured in the laboratory then transfused back into the patient.

Prof Eric Gowans, head of the scientific team at the Burnet Institute, said he hoped to start treatments within months.

"This is totally novel. It will be the first time tested in human patients with hepatitis C and the first time in the world," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19397043%255E24331,00.html

Note:

A question for Dr. Young; Is there a possibility that this could also work for genotype 2? What do you think?

Raven

lynnifer
06-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for posting this! One of my co-worker's mothers has Hep C from tainted blood she received while under medical care several years ago.

Raven
06-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Glad to hear that it helped someone else to hear of this new hope. The person you mention must have gotten it when there was some tainted blood received from some prisoners in Arkansas. There is a link on my hep info site which tells of it. You or your friend and her mom might be interested in reading about it. Also, I think that the government or Red Cross were sued for that incident. I will probably be searching more on the subject and posting it in that link too.

The link for the info is the following ..

http://www.ravensdreams.org/HepC/BloodTrailPart1.php

Hope this helps too.

Raven

lynnifer
06-15-2006, 02:04 AM
This was in Canada. For years the HIV positive victims (from donated blood again) got reimbursement but the Hep C victims didn't. I believe that was supposed to be rectified or it was in discussion with our government last fall anyway. Same deal though!

Jawaid
06-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for post. My dad is going through Hep C too.

Jawaid