PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin therapy fights depression

Wise Young
11-26-2005, 09:17 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4465998.stm

Dolphin therapy fights depression

Dolphins are increasingly being used in therapeutic treatments
Swimming with dolphins appears to help alleviate mild to moderate depression, researchers have found.

A University of Leicester team tested the effect of regular swimming sessions with dolphins on 15 depressed people in a study carried out in Honduras.

They found that symptoms improved more among this group than among another 15 who swam in the same area - but did not interact with dolphins.

The study is published in the British Medical Journal.

All the volunteers who took part in the trial stopped taking antidepressant drugs or undergoing psychotherapy at least four weeks beforehand.

betheny
11-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Swimming w/ dolphins would cheer me up! :)

roshni
11-26-2005, 01:23 PM
It is neat that, of all animals, they used dolphins in a study on depression. In Native American lore, dolphins represent the value of touch and play as a means of healing and support. How symbolic!

Lindox
11-26-2005, 04:18 PM
How could one stay depressed looking into those eyes and that perpetually smiling face.

The article did state though that those in the control group swimming without the company of dolphins too became less depressed. I really believe water in itself holds powerful therapeutic properties.

The horses too are doing so well working with neurologically impaired children. As dogs they can help any affliction I think.

Thing is though..if the dolphin therapy becomes extremely popular..well they are not everywhere..not like horses and dogs. And we will need to remember they are wild mammals and live in the ocean.
So we have to be careful with promoting them as therapy animals. It isn't fair to just grab them from their environement and force them to work for us.

Many of course will take to it with gusto..some won't and they have to be considered and given their freedoms..and we have to protect their environement because we can and we are humans.

And we can't force mental illness onto them by holding them captive in our idea of a good place.

I think the dolphins could be amazing therapists for cerebral palsied and autistic children. But to take on this type of endeavor means responsibility to the dolphin.

I have watched them at sea often..and they are one special species. To look them in the eye is like looking into yesterday and tomorrow. Very complex thought processes I feel.