PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge biotech develops hepatitis C pill

Raven
11-13-2005, 12:21 AM
A Cambridge biotech company has developed a pill its scientists argue could cure more people with hepatitis C – a virus that attacks the liver – without the debilitating side effects caused by the only other treatment on the market.

“It exceeded our expectations. We think this is the most exciting drug possibility out there for all drugs,” said Joshua Boger, president and chief executive of Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc.

The results of a recent study – to be presented Monday at an international liver disease conference – come as researchers say the number of Americans infected with hepatitis C has been underestimated by about 1 million.

Many people with chronic hepatitis C don’t choose to get the current therapy because of horrible side effects that include flu symptoms, depression and anxiety.

The current treatment is toxic and is a combination therapy that involves injections of the protein interferon for up to a year. Also, it only works in about half of all patients.

more: http://theedge.bostonherald.com/healthNews/view.bg?articleid=111590

kkmay
11-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes that's my company! I own several hundred shares of stock in VRTX. It has done me wonders.

Raven
11-13-2005, 09:39 PM
It has done me wonders.

Hope this pill does the same to us too. ;) Everytime we hear of something new like this our hopes are raised once more. Even if the treatments/meds do have pretty bad side effects, they may be worth it hopefully.

Raven